Thursday, September 20, 2007
Courtesy of Doctor Dictionary at dictionary.com
Word of the Day for Thursday, September 20, 2007
recreant \REK-ree-uhnt\, adjective:
1. Cowardly; craven.
2. Unfaithful; disloyal.
3. A coward.
4. An unfaithful or disloyal person.
Use it in a sentance - OJ Simpson is a recreant scumbag.
His recreant companion disappears around the fence, but he remains, smiling affably.
-- Eric J. Segal, "Norman Rockwell and the fashioning of American masculinity", Art Bulletin, December 1, 1996
To any man there may come at times a consciousness that there blows, through all the articulations of his body, the wind of a spirit not wholly his; that his mind rebels; that another girds him and carries him whither he would not. . . . The open door was closed in his recreant face.
-- Genie Babb, "Where the bodies are buried", Narrative, October 1, 2002
Recreant comes from Old French, from the present participle of recroire, "to yield in a trial by battle," from re-, "re-" + croire, "to believe," from Latin credere.
- ► 2008 (65)
- For the Ladies.......
- Ventilation X (Warning - Do not try these stunts a...
- Joke of the Week
- Questionable Post, Part 2
- Our trash is someone else's Treasure?
- Living the Good Life....And it has nothing to do w...
- Courtesy of Doctor Dictionary at dictionary.com
- What's your Pimp name?
- From a Friend....
- SPAM of the Day
- My Sister's Wedding
- How well do YOU understand Men?
- The Biggest Loser
- Crash Test Dummies
- Dave 'The Hammer' Schultz
- Game Invasion News....Mushiking
- Man Injects Love Interest With Blood
- Belated September 11th Post
- 'Day of Conception'
- Joke of the Week.....
- MTV's Video Music Awards
- A wish is a wish....
- How Nerdy Are You?
- What Does Your Pizza Choice Say About You?
- Cowboy Boots
- My Pride and Joys....
- How It's Made
- Like to Read Horoscopes?
- Are you a Non-Conformist?
- The Beauty (and Ugliness) of Blogging
- ▼ September (33)