Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Happy Birthday Steph!


My third daughter turned 21 this past Sunday. What a milestone! This is a picture of Steph in her sister's wedding this past November.

We are so proud of her. She is a hard worker - she works full-time, second shift at NutriSystem, and then works in the hair salon on Fridays and Saturdays on her days off from NutriSystem. She went to cosmotology school and she really loves the salon, but she does not have any health insurance, etc from the salon so she has to keep a full-time job as well.

When she was really little, she was very attached to me and I couldn't walk out of a room without her screaming. I remember washing windows for her great grandmother once, and she was inside the house screaming in her infant seat because she couldn't see me. Then she could see me through the window and quieted down. It was tough for a while leaving her with other people.

She always put all of her efforts into anything she would do. She was very enthusiastic about things, and is very thoughtful and concerned about other people.

One thing she liked to do when she was little, like at 3 years old, was take things apart with a screwdriver. I remember when she tried to remove a doorknob from her bedroom door, and also she loosened the screws in a chair we had.

She always said that she would never move out of the house. Which is very funny now, since we hardly ever see her. her boyfirend lives nearby and they work the same shift, so they hang out after work, at midnight. Her stuff still lives here, though!

She sent me flowers for her birthday, and here is what the card said:

Mommy (yes, she still calls me Mommy), I wanted to thank you for everything you have done. Just think, 21 years ago, you held me in your arms for the first time. And because of you, I am the woman I am today! Thank you, Love always, Stephanie

It was a beautiful thing for her to say. As a single parent, there were many times when I thought I wasn't doing the right thing, or felt like I didn't have enough time in the day to give them each the attention they needed since I had to work to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.

Her two older sisters said "oh great, now we have to do that every year!"

Happy Birthday Steph!

7 comments:

USA_Admiral said...

What a special daughter that is sending you flowers on her Birthday. I hope my daughter turns out like this.

Sezme said...

That was a very sweet thing for her to do. :)

Buckaroo Banzai said...

Giggity! Does she date immature men?

Kidding, kidding! Don't break out the shotgun!

IHeartQuilting said...

Admiral - that is so nice of you to say.

RT - I agree, although her sisters don't!

Wyatt - Ha! She dates immature men all the time - but not OLD men.

grimjack said...

You betting be talking about one of your sons, Wyatt.

Aprilwine said...

Gorgeous and sweet!

Buckaroo Banzai said...

Um, yeah . . . I was talking about, um, Kyle. He could pass for a 9-year old now!

Powered By Blogger